The Tonga State of the Environment 2018 report has been developed to answer three key questions related
to the environment of Tonga, and is based on seven thematic areas:
• What is the current condition of the Tongan environment?
• What are the risks the Tongan environment faces and what measures have been put forward to minimise them? This could provide lessons for Tonga.
• Where is the environment of Tonga headed based on the assessed thematic areas?
Tonga’s State of Environment Report 2018 is complete and currently awaiting official approval and launch. The report is based on 7 thematic areas and it was developed to answer 3 key questions related to the environment;
1. What is the current condition of the Tongan environment?
2. What are the risks the Tongan environment faces and what measures have been put forward to minimise them
3. Where is the environment of Tonga headed based on the assessed thematic areas?
Tonga's Environment Data Portal was employed as the tool for SOE data storage and sharing
State of Environment (SoE) reports provide in-country partners with a process to gather data on current environmental indicators, document their status, and formulate a plan for keeping these indicators on track or developing policies and programs as needed. This SoE Toolkit dataset contains resources that serve as guides to help create up-to-date State of Environment reports.
This first state of the environment report for the Pacific region uses regional environment indicators to assess the status, trends, and data quality and availability for the endorsed Pacific environmental priorities. This report also includes an update of the State of Conservation in Oceania report produced in 2013, which was endorsed and published in 2017.