2008 Report on the 11th Meeting of the Pacific Islands Roundtable for Nature Conservation
A 34 paged report on the 11th Meeting of the Pacific Islands Roundtable for Nature Conservation held in Suva and hosted by IUCN, Pacific Council of Churches, WWF, SPREP, USP and FSPI. It reports the decisions made by the Roundtable on the following issues:
1. The Roundtable Charter (and 8 organisations signed the charter) (see annex 1)
2. The need for a Roundtable Officer to be based at IUCN in Fiji to support the Chair and support the work of the Roundtable. Roundtable organizations agreed to see whether they had resources to support this.
3. The need for the Roundtable to link up to countries and to support national level Roundtable type meetings/discussions. The three countries prioritized for 2008 – 2009 are PNG, Fiji and the Solomon Islands.
4. The creation of a Roundtable Management Group along with a TOR to manage the work of the Roundtable and support the Chair. (Annex 2)
5. The creation of a Monitoring Working Group to support the monitoring mandate of the Roundtable.
6. The creation of a series of working groups that will be reviewed in 2009 and who have developed specific TOR. These include: invasive species, coral triangle initiative, capacity building, threatened species, community based management, oceanic fisheries management, economics and sustainable resource use and agrobiodiversity. (Annex 3)
7. A statement from the Roundtable meeting regarding the application of the proposed IUCN protected area guidelines in the context of the Pacific Islands (annex 7)
|timestamp||Mon, 09/26/2022 - 10:00|